Saturday, April 11, 2009

Sidelined

Very much has happened between our last post and now. Where to begin?! It's definitely too much to put all in one blog, so I'll start with what's on my mind at the moment.

As most of you know, I've been running quite a lot lately. I'm signed up with Brad's parents and cousin for us all to do our first 5K in May, and I'm also planning on doing a half-marathon in KC in October. I've never in my life been a runner, so it's been challenging the past few months to start something I'm bad at and just trust that I'll get better. But it's also been so awesome to see my progression week to week... praise to God for designing the human body in the way He did! And now I actually enjoy going out for a run!

Here's where it turns bad, though. I pushed myself a little too far too fast. Back two weeks ago on a 5 mile run my knee was hurting from the beginning. Thinking you just push through the pain the same way you do with shin-splints or something, I just kept going. That was my first mistake; I couldn't walk or bend my leg for the rest of the week. Then last Saturday the pain was finally starting to lessen, and it was the last nice day in the forecast for awhile, so I went on a ten mile run. That was my second mistake. After that, not only could I not bend my leg, but my knee was also inflamed. It hurt so bad!! I finally went to the doc yesterday- I remembered that doctor visits on campus are free, and I got into a sports med doctor so that was really nice and convenient.

Here's the verdict: I have patellofemoral pain syndrome (AKA runner's knee) and prepatellar bursitis. She recommends I stay off it for 4-6 weeks, though I could slowly start back in only a couple more weeks. I also have to ice it multiple times a day and wrap it overnight. I am just so mad at myself - my pushing myself further just sidelined me for about a month. Not only can I not run, but I can't do squats or lunges or knee extensions either.

So why am I telling you all this? Yes, in part I may want sympathy (Brad is trying very hard to not feel sorry for me because he says I was stupid). But mostly I am telling you so you don't fall victim! Here are the basic rules of progression in running. Follow them, and you should be able to progress without getting any overuse injuries. First, increase your mileage by no more than 10% each week. Second, if you are doing any long runs, they should not be more than half of your weekly total. Some other general guidelines are to avoid concrete (sidewalks) whenever you can- trails and road are so much better on your joints, even if that means waking up early to run on the road (stay to the left side) before traffic.

Again, try hard to stick to these rules. I know it's hard, and you just want to push farther every time, but the last thing you want is to be hurt and then on the sideline for a month!!

We'll be updating more very soon!! Hope you haven't given up on our blog!

Have an EGG-cellent Easter! :) (couldn't resist)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my Kayla!! That does not sound fun at all!!!...well I don't think the running sounds fun either, but that's just me I guess. :) I really hope that this gets better soon! Just make sure the follow the doctor's orders...remember he should know what he's talking about! Can't wait to hear how everything else is going! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww Kayla! Bummer! As someone who is wanting to become a runner (we'll see how that goes!) I am going to try to follow your words of wisdom!

    Are you coming to visit before you go to Italy? We miss you!

    ReplyDelete